The holiday decorations are out, holiday music streams from every station, children are getting excited, and we are bombarded by sweets, festive dinners, appetizers, finger foods, and alcohol. And don’t forget the fruit cakes and figgie pudding (whatever that is). Eat, Drink, and Be Merry. As if eating and drinking were the only means to merriment!
What we need is a new holiday mindset. One where eating and drinking are secondary to the many other Merriments of the season. Below are some tips for how to avoid overeating by distracting yourself with the other fun activities of winter!
Here are some great non-edible ways to enjoy the holidays:
- Watch “It’s a Wonderful Life” for the 100th time
- Take evening strolls around your neighborhood, admiring the holiday lights
- Go Ice-skating
- Curl up in front of a crackling fire and read O’Henry’s “The Gift of the Magi”, or Dickens “A Christmas Carol”
- Grab some neighbors and go caroling – Who doesn’t love to belt out “Frosty the Snowman”
- Organize a stocking stuffer exchange instead of a cookie exchange
- Shop for creative hostess gifts, while doing laps around the mall
- Make your own holiday cards or pinecone bird feeders
- If weather permits, build a snowman or have a snowball fight with the kids
What will you do to be Merry this holiday season? Share your tips on how to avoid overeating and what you plan to do to stay distracted!